Friday 13 September 2013

Overcome by nature

I am in Rabanal which is in the mountains, first of three hard days. A solid 15 mile hike up from Astorga. (Writing here is a bit crazy as ever word I write is underlined and not pleasant to read. So it is difficult to see which word is the real misspelt word among them. Gone has my friend Jim to be replaced by... just me. I find that I walk faster now and like to keep that pace. My right heel hurts like crazy but doesnt hurt if I walk fast. Only when I stop and start again. Last night I think I had a fever, very high temparature and very low blood sugar. It wasnt pleasant and it included a nightmare to remember and try to forget. Today I had the runs and it brought a new meaning to that in that I hadto make it quickly between towns to relieve myself. It was close at times but I made it. I start walking at 6.30am and so am walking about an hour before sunrise and about three hours before a town with a chemist is open. Anyway, help arrived slowly. Walking helped as well. I find that if I were more religious I would probably get more from this walk. The walk is littered with crosses and stones on walls with messages to god knows who. But the depth is there too for me. I am alone but not on my own. Life is teaching me that life has no limits except for the ones I impose upon myself. The source of my information, my mind is at best, most unreliable. I can be its prisoner if I let my worries control my days. The way is difficult, more difficult mentally and spiritually. But it is like life. Once I get it, I just keep going with what I have and try not to look back. I look back just once a day to watch the sun rise. Nature is all around me. I think I finally found my holiday niche. Flies hitched a ride with me today. Everywhere I went they were upon me. I got used to them and near the end of my walk where it was most steep, I was breathing fast and through my mouth as I climbed this mountain, I swallowed enough of them, to consciously keep my mouth shut as much as possible. Still it was nice to be overcome by nature.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these blog posts Maur - it's great to read about your experiences. I can almost feel as if i'm there, and it makes me pretty sure i prefer to be reading about it from the comfort of my couch than actually doing something that sounds pretty grueling.

    Do you take many pics ? Why don't you post some here ?

    Actually, it just occurred to me that you may not even be reading this comment so i might just be having a virtual conversation with myself. Nothing new for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read but i remain low tech in that i havent figured out how to yet. The way is getting intense and words doesnt do it for me now so photos and movies might.

      Delete