Thursday 12 September 2013

Bone tired

You know that expression, well I know what it means now. Bones fit for purpose yes but after just 18km today, I had to rest. The spirit is willing but the flesh is shagged out. Made it to this wonderful city in the mountains called Astorga, I think I spelt that right! Lovely people, just fantastic catherdral and gothic church beside it. When I got to the hostel this morning at 10.30 am I had my early sleep for three hours. I was dead tired and when I awoke I have moved around this place like a ghost, where ever each step is chosen before hand and every foot step reminds me of the walking that is done. Surprisingily to me, it is now 8.30pm and I feel a lot better. I walked with a guy called Jim from North Carolina. He is a nice man but has had enough of the camino and set a blistering pace for me these past two days. Emphasis on the adjective there folks! He went on and I just bowed out of that race. There is a 20km hike tomorrow into the mountains. In fact the next three days are supposed to be the toughest. The last three were the toughest I ever experienced. What do I know? I dont know Spanish keyboards so well, that is for sure. There are a bunch of loud americans in the next room singing of all things, the theme music for the Beveley Hillbillies which was a sit com in the 70s. Still, I think the original sounded a lot better. I, on the hand, having being conversing mainly in Spanish which is more extraordinary than remembering the words of the TV show. Mostly, I have been keeping to myself and getting into the way of being a pilgrim actually. These writing being the exception to the quite mind I am becoming. Finally I burst my first serious blister today. These safety pins came in handy. I am pretty balanced in that aches and pains are all around my body rather than in one place. I met someone today that was eaten alive by bed bugs. Not a pretty sight. I guess they dont like me so far. Or I am not drained enough as it is only being my third day.

No comments:

Post a Comment